I have always wanted to stay home with my baby, but I never thought I'd have the choice. My wonderful wife has made this possible for me with her success and her selflessness. (thank you) Now, I've spent the last 6 months at home with my daughter. She is the most amazing human being in the entire world. As any parent knows.
I didn't really know how this lifestyle would be or how I would feel about my decision. I miss being a teacher and a coach. I miss being known as Mr. D or Coach D or just...D. I miss my friends and I miss my family. But when I wake up in the morning and my day begins, I couldn't be happier. Right now Mazie is learning how to sit, crawl, stand, grab, eat, communicate and even how to absorb a face lick from her "big dogs." I get to help with some of these milestones, but mostly I just get to witness these minor miracles. Fortunately, Katie's job allows her to work from home quite a bit, so she rarely misses an event. I don't wish I were somewhere else. I don't wish I were doing something else. I'm totally satisfied with my day and my purpose.
Mazie is so calm, so sweet. She makes my life very easy. I realize that I am very lucky to be able to spend my day with such a sweet human being and have no other responsibilities. Recently she has been taking 2 hour naps on my back in an Ergo, twice a day. While this limits what I can do while she sleeps, it is a wonderful connection between us.
There are so many more wonderful moments to come and I am so excited to be there for all of them. It is strange and wonderful to be responsible for another human being's life.
More to come...
1 comment:
Dear Caleb,
I was so touched by your words and experience. Now you know how it might have felt to have had the privilege and honor to be home with you. I was especially moved by your gratitude for Katie and all that she has made possible through her work and her generosity in giving you this time with Mazie. This time goes so quickly. I sometimes marvel at where all the years have gone and then I look at you and your siblings and know that they have gone to you.
I can not wait to see you all in just a few weeks. Mazie's cousins are pretty excited to have some play time and Nana is itching to squeeze your cheeks and sing a few songs.
Love,
The Dollynana
Post a Comment