Believe it or not, Mazie has been in the world for 6 whole months. Here are a few reflections on this amazing little being....
Mazie is an incredibly sweet, good natured baby. She cries very little, and if she's fussy it invariably means she's either tired or hungry. Easy to please. She actually doesn't laugh a lot, either, although we're getting better at figuring out her sense of humor. I have the most luck when I call her a "little monster" and growl at her. Raspberries on her tummy are also funny, and Caleb has gotten some great giggles when he "wrestles" with her, rolling and flopping her around on the bed. But mostly she's just smiley and content.
She has a strong little body and a curious mind. At a brunch this morning someone who hadn't met her before remarked on her "independence" as she rolled around and babbled to herself (a beautiful mix of da-das, squeaks, and raspberries) on the carpet while we ate. She loves new faces, maybe due to the constant stream of admirers that surrounded her during her first few weeks of life. We keep watching for signs of "stranger anxiety," but for now she still goes happily to any new person.
If there's one "issue" we have it's her sleeping. Her naps are pretty inconsistent, and her night sleeping has been pretty variable, too. We had a good stretch a few weeks ago where she was consistently sleeping up to 10 hours at night in her crib before coming in to bed with us and sleeping a few more hours. This past week I've had more trouble getting her to go down in her crib, and instead of going down at 7 or 8 it's more like 9 or 10. But even with this, we can't really complain, and I've been really reluctant to do any "sleep training" for a few reasons. She's so good natured otherwise, and since I'm not with her as much during the day I want to give her as much time as she needs with me at night. Even now (literally, actually -- she's sleeping in my arms downstairs as I write this), not going down in her crib at 7 just means that she comes downstairs and hangs out with us in this quiet, sleepy, sweet state for a while before drifting off. Pretty wonderful, really, even if it's not exactly "sleeping through the night." Overrated.
In brief, she's amazing and we love her so, so much. Hard to believe she's 6 months old, but also hard to believe she was ever missing from our lives. How did we get by without her? The feeling I've had since the moment she was born is still with me. I can't wait to see what she does next, to watch all of the unfolding moments and changes, but at the same time I want her to stay exactly like she is forever. Perfect little angel.
-Katie
3 comments:
Mazie look awesome! It's been fun reading about her and watching her grow on this blog. We think her sleeping "issue" sounds like absolute Heaven. Sometimes Eaton sleeps 10hrs at night also, but he breaks it up into about 2-3 hr chunks with screaming intermissions. Have a greak Thanksgiving.
-Wes and Carlyn
What a happy Mommy. Seems like you are actually enjoying the struggles around sleep, just letting Mazie find her way and making the best of every moment.
You will know when she needs sleep coaching. Mazie is such a blessed little being to have such a wise Mommy and Daddy.
I love the pictures, but they are no substitute for the "real" thing. Nana can't wait to have little Mazie close enough to squeeze. When I count my blessings, I count you twice.
Love,
The Dollynana ( Mom)
I'm catching up on reading Mazie's blog. And as the mama of a delightful child who, um, still doesn't quite sleep through the night, I wholeheartedly agree that it's overrated--and especially at Mazie's age. Keep doing what you're doing, and y'all will find YOUR way.
Post a Comment