Of the many TBD questions about life post-Rwanda, one is: what will become of this blog? I'd like to continue to make time to write about everyday life and Big Questions. Fathers Day seems like a good opportunity to share some Thoughts about three important Dads in my life, and why I'm so grateful for each of them.
#1 Dad (chronologically at least, for me): Papa Steve Hansen
I thought about you a lot while we were gone, and wished it had worked for you to come visit us. So much about our experience made me think about my connection to you and our shared values. There was one morning in particular when Ahya was visiting and we visited Nyungwe National Park... we were staying at a guest house near the park and I woke up early and took a little walk. I think the natural beauty of the spot we were in got me thinking about my love of nature and how deeply my core values are connected to you. I thought about our many bike rides and boat rides and camping trips we took as a kid, and the nature class you and Mom put me in when we lived in New Jersey. I learned to walk like a robin and learned a prayer to Great Mother Forest - if I'm remembering correctly, I think it was attributed to the "pygmy" people, which is an outdated and offensive term for several different indigenous peoples, one of which happens to be the Twa whose homelands include the rainforest we were visiting on that trip. I can't remember the whole prayer, but here's part of it:
Great Mother Forest
If I am to please you, I must not pluck or kill more than I can use.
I must not pollute your sweet waters, or harm the earth to which one day I must return.
If I do not obey your teachings, you will perish, and I with you.
I wonder if you remember more of it. Or maybe that's all? In any case, that connection to our planet and my commitment to honor her have been with me since I was a kid and continue to connect me to you today. I'm so glad you and Nanny were here to visit this past week and I'm still trying to figure out how to be more present for quality time with you when we're together. I love you, Daddy.
#2 Dad (again, not a ranking, just a list-ordering): My father-in-law, Gil
I'm so glad you were able to come see us in Rwanda and share part of our adventure - I know it wasn't easy to get there and we kept you moving at lightning speed while you were there! I appreciate your deep love of family and the unconditional love you show all of us. It was a joy to watch you extend that love to our neighbors in Rwanda. I also appreciate and maybe am starting to feel more connected to your relationship with the divine. Our faith traditions and practices are different, but I see in you a commitment to the belief that we are all good and worthy and deserving, and I think that comes from a similar core belief that we are all connected to each other and to Something Greater. I'm glad we share that, and I'm grateful for your role in shaping Dad #3 into the person he is...
Dad #3 (guess who??): James Caleb Kalibu Dickinson
Where to even start with This Musaza? I love you so entirely and the task of explaining why and expressing my gratitude to you is overwhelming. Here's what is front of mind today. Being your co-parent for 15 years has been a joy. From the first moments of staring blissfully at our progeny and taking in their perfection, to our current amusement and wonder at who these young humans are becoming, I've learned so much from you and have felt deep fulfillment in having you at my side in this parenting adventure. You are a gifted communicator and connector. You've helped teach our children, and me, to speak from a place of love and understanding, naming our feelings and needs and inviting others to do the same. I love who you are in the world, and I'm so grateful for your willingness to step out into the larger world with me and to help our whole family open our hearts across culture and language barriers and connect in ways that we wouldn't have without you. You give me and your daughters the gift of knowing that we are entirely and securely loved, and I think that gives all of us the power to reach outside of ourselves and take risks in the way we love others and our world, knowing you are there to hold us no matter what. Thank you for loving us so well, and for being my partner at each step of our adventure together. What's next?
2 comments:
Yes, please, keep up the blog!!
What lovely sentiments --
Tears at each Father description. On Father's Day I'm always grateful that you have one like Steve, because I did not. Thank you for sharing him with me.😘 Your kids sure got the mega-watt father: mega-loving, mega-talking and mega-doing! And a great hugger, too. I hadn't spent much time with dad #3 until, coincidentally, this trip. We happened to chat during Mazie's b'day party and the Nuggets game. I like him!
Post a Comment