Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Caleb and Mazie are Off to New Zealand!

Father's Day card from Mazie to Caleb

I've decided to use the blog again as a digital journal to record the adventure we're about to go on, to focus my thoughts during the trip, and to say funny things about our travels.

Mazie and I are headed to New Zealand for the World Cup. This was not a last minute idea that the rest of the family couldn't pull off. Rather, this is a trip 30 years in the making.

When I was 12 or 13 my mom took me on a trip to Europe. We went to England, Switzerland, and Italy. As part of a very large family, it was quite unusual to travel with only my mom. I loved the trip and I still have such fond memories of that adventure and my special time with my mama. I wanted to do the same thing for my kids, so Katie and I agreed that she would take them somewhere special when they turn 10 and I would take them when they're 15.

When Mazie was 10, Katie took her to Ghana on a work trip and Sweden for a conference. She took Athena to Athens for a conference last year. Katie's work travel really raised the bar on what was possible. 

4 years ago, while watching the women's world cup, it dawned on me that Mazie would be 15 in 2023. We looked up the 6-7 host cities still in the running and decided we would go wherever the tournament was being played. 3 years ago they picked Australia/New Zealand.

So Mazie and I have known we were taking this once-in-a-lifetime daddy/daughter trip for the past 3 years.

I picked 15 because I love high school aged kids. (I hear that too) I used to be a high school math teacher and I always respected/appreciated the moment that those humans are in. They're so close to being adults, but still children in need of life experiences to truly understand the world. It's a bit risky though, since some 15 year olds hate their parents. 

Mazie is an absolute delight. She is witty and energetic, kind and sarcastic, independent and dependent. I couldn't be happier about our goofy close friendship right now as we embark on a 12 day trip together. (just putting it in the record that I liked her when we started this) 

First stage is Denver to Honolulu. We didn't get seats together on our flight (how do separate a parent and kid) and couldn't work our magic to fix it. Some people are the worst. All I needed as for 47D (flying alone) to switch with 49G...both aisle seats. Then, 49F (49G's husband) could switch with 47E (Mazie)...that's middle for middle, no big deal. Then 49E (me) and 49F could be together and watch movies without speaking. 

She's fine. 7 hours to Honolulu! 

We stay overnight in Waikiki, then catch a 10:45am flight on Tuesday to Auckland, New Zealand. We arrive 31 hours later (22 hour time change and 9 hour flight) on Wednesday afternoon. One more 90 minute flight and we're in Wellington and our adventure truly begins. 

Our first game will be on Thursday at 1pm. USA vs Netherlands. (Wednesday at 7pm in Colorado)

I'm looking forward to many great pictures and stories of our adventures. We'll see if anything is funny. 




No comments: