Sunday, May 21, 2023

The Tattoo - Katie Version

Couldn't let Caleb have all the fun.

Live(ish) blogging this experience.

9:10: Arrived at the tattoo place for my 9 am appointment.  Jaycee's not here.  Caleb and I head over to Question Coffee, 1/2 block away.

9:21: Jaycee texts that he's here.  

9:33: I walk back over with my coffee.  Jaycee is here but the gate to the place is locked.  He calls a guy who says he's on his way over.

9:39: The guy should be here in 5-10 minutes.

9:40: Another guy who is not the guy with the key shows up.  Apparently there is another guy inside who could let us in, but he's not answering his phone.  Probably asleep.

9:46: Jaycee says he just talked to another guy he works with at the other space, where Lexi got her ears pieced and Caleb got his first tattoo.  Should we just head across town to that place?  Let's wait another 5 minutes.

9:52: Another guy who is also not the guy with keys shows up.  He grabs a stick and reaches over the wall to bang on the roof.

9:55: A sleepy looking guy opens the gate.  We're in.

10:10: Jaycee has sketched the tattoo on my leg.  About the right size & position?  Great, he'll go make a stencil.  I will wait.
10:49: Jaycee is back with the stencil: a drawing of the tattoo design on a thin sort of wax paper.  Puts it on my leg and the image comes off.  Looks good. Maybe make the roots a little longer?


10:55: Ready to start? Yes!

10:55: Ow.

11:04: Done with roots and trunk. This part's not too bad. The roots hurt the most.
11:15: Tattoo pain is manageable but my leg is cramping from being in this weird position. Jaycee says he'll give me a break soon.

11:21: Roots weren't actually done. Going over them again. This is the most painful part so far. Breathe. I've had 3 babies & my breath is magic. In & out. Could use that break.

11:38: Break time!
11:45: Break's over. Walked around and got an orange Fanta. Back at it.

Pictures I took of the space during the break.
The gate.

That's the roof the one guy banged on to wake the other guy up.




11:50: Somehow this entire post I've been writing in the Blogger app on my phone... disappears.  Wiped clean.  NOOOO!  Spend a few minutes trying to see if I can recover it.  It's gone.  Give up? 

I've got time to kill.  Let's see if I can go back and recreate from memory.  I'll put in what I can and go back to fill it in later.

12:03: Saved blog post.  Making progress filling it in.  Good distraction.  This is still happening.
12:13: Stretching my leg again.  Jaycee says we're getting close.  10 minutes to go?

12:20: Done?  Let's go check it out!
Done!  I think I love it?  Yes, I love it.  It's a part of me now! 

Let's go home.

13:19: Back home, done filling in details on this post.  Publish.

13:25: Reading over the blog one more time and I realize I haven't really explained what the tattoo is.  

Quick update:

What is it?  It's an acacia tree, with some Rwandan art.  Why?  I love trees, and I wanted a tattoo.  In Rwanda.

Publish update.

4 comments:

Nana said...

Magnificent. Can’t wait to see it and you in person

Anonymous said...

Before I read the description I thought 'she's had 3 babies' so maybe that helps... similar in birthing a new part of yourself!

Anonymous said...

That was Ahya

Karen said...

You had 3 babies *naturally.* And you don't have to feed Acacia or send her to college.