Thursday, May 25, 2023

Mazie is 15!


Mazie James, aka Peanut Dickinson, aka the original raison d'etre of this blog, turned 15 on Tuesday.  It was a low-key celebration: she went to school, and then we went to Sakae for dinner (so she could have her favorite food: chicken fried rice), and then we came home and had cake with Kevine and Theo. Her big present was a new (refurbished) iPhone 12, which Grandpa brought in his luggage.  It takes .5 photos, whatever that means, and she's very excited about that.

Kevine shared this fun little photo collage

Even in full teenager mode, Mazie James is a joy.  She is kind and thoughtful and hard-working.  She's been incredibly adaptable during this adventure, and has made some great friends that I hope she'll keep.  For Mother's Day, she wrote me a card that said pretty much exactly what I'd want her to say... so much so that I had to ask if she was just saying what she knew I'd want her to say... which she said wasn't the case.


I appreciate her honesty and her presence and her willingness to stay connected to us, her embarrassing parents, even as she forges her developmentally-appropriate independent path.  I'm excited to see her reconnect with the people and things she loves back home, and I'm also excited to see what sticks from this experience and what she does with the things she's learned here.  Very strange to be parenting an almost-adult, who is still (and will always be) our Baby Mazie.



2 comments:

Nana said...

What a delight to see Baby Mazie in the videos. She is still a wonder and a delight as she approaches adulthood. I loved watching her take in your cues for the bunny foo foo song, and then confidently announce “Mazie do it” and off she went with her version. I guess that is what she is doing now..Ta Da!

Grandpa Gil said...

So sweet and so much fun to see! I didnt realize there a was a link to videos until i saw Nana's post. :)