Thursday, February 12, 2009

Play Groups!!

Daddy and I are becoming more social. The last two weeks we've been going to all sorts of play groups so that we don't sit around the house all day or go on walks all by ourselves.

Monday is zoo day. We go see the chimp and the orangutan, the lion and the tiger, the giraffe and the alligator, the American bison and the polar bear, the seal and the river otter. And all along the way Dad gives me the little toy version of the animals I'm seeing. Finally, these little plastic figures mean something. I totally get it now. After the zoo we go to ZuZu's for lunch. It's great 'cuz Dad gets really good food and there is a train table for me to suck on.

Tuesday is music class day. We meet up with my friends Charley and Henry and their mom Lolly. There sure are lots of moms. Music class is pretty fun. I crawl around and play with the other kids while Dad makes an ass of himself dancing around and singing. We play rhythm games and we repeat the sounds that the crazy lady makes. I love it.

Wednesday is library day. We go to the Madison Public Library for story time. 15 mommys and Dad sit around in a circle while a nice lady reads a HUGE book to all of the kids. I'm not that into it, but I do like getting off my dad's lap and crawling around. I like to grab other kids in the face. I'm not really sure why I like it so much, but I've just got to do it. Also, other kids are great for helping me pull myself up to standing.

As if the library wasn't enough stimulation for the day, Mom takes me to swim class at night. This is my favorite time of the whole week. Anyone who knows me, knows I love the water. I love bath time and I love swimming. Mommy and I go to a pool at a local elementary school for swim class. There are lots of kids there and plenty of moms AND dads. I can kick really well now and Mommy's going to let me swim all by myself soon.

Thursday is Mad City Dads day. We go to The Happy Bambino, which is English and Italian or Spanish for Happy Baby. This play group is awesome. None of the dads tell me how cute I am or marvel at my mobility. They just leave me alone and talk to my dad about last night's basketball game or the perils of picking up dog shit during the winter months. I get to tackle the other kids and grab their ears. One kid even let me put my fingers in her mouth. I also sucked on another kid's forehead for a little while this week. Nobody seems to care.

Friday is time for Nightcrawlers. Dad has, so far, been unable to explain the title of this play group. It's back at the The Happy Bambino, but it's at 9:15 in the morning. So Dad is a little confused about the reference to night. Maybe we're all just a bunch of worms. Anyway, it's only for kids my age. Well, between 6 and 12 months. So all the kids are about the same size and only one kid can walk. This group is like the other non-dad groups. There are no other dads. Just 8 or so moms and my dad. It's a really nice group though. Lots of very nice people.

Well, that's my week. I still hang out at the house a lot, of course. I still nap on Dad's back twice a day and I still watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report at night. Life is pretty sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mazie James,

Your dada sure is showing you what a great valentine he is. You're a lucky kid, y' know that? And your mama's pretty fab, too! Love you, all 3 of you,