Monday, March 23, 2015

Athena Can't Hear

While Athena's handled her transition to middle child fairly well overall, she's three and has been asserting her independence and strong will on a regular basis.  A few weeks ago I was getting really frustrated with her for ignoring me -- I would ask her to do something like put on her shoes or brush her teeth and she just wouldn't respond.  Then I noticed her saying "What?" a lot, and eventually it occurred to me that maybe she actually wasn't hearing me very well.  So I took her to the audiologist and it turns out she does have some mild (and thankfully temporary) hearing loss due to a combination of wax and possibly fluid in her ears.  She and Mazie both had ear infections shortly after Zae was born, so this is probably a lingering effect of that.  The doctor referred us to the head and neck surgery department to get her ears flushed out, but unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment until the end of April, so for now we're all just talking louder and trying to be patient with her!  


No comments: