What a crazy 24 hours.
Monday is nearly over for us and it was a big day. We all slept pretty well, which is a huge part of the solution. In the morning I decided to stub my toe on the bed post so hard that I broke my second toe on my left foot (maybe my 4th toe...which reminds me of the "which side of the bed do you sleep on" test). This is not ideal when you spend most of the day walking. With that injury behind us we all walked the 25 minute path to school. All 3 girls are attending the same school, Green Hills Academy, but they're in different buildings, since they are grade 2, grade 6, and grade 9. (yes, that's how they say it) They got their uniforms, which are adorable, and headed off to classes. The campus is enormous and there are so many kids there. It feels like a perfect combination of preschool and college.
I headed off to the Bank of Kigali to set up a local bank account so that I could pay for larger items and move money from the US without paying an arm and a toe. The experience that I had in the branch was mind numbing. After 3 hours, I left without a bank account, but a lot of fond memories of a culture I don't yet understand. There is always a military presence, which brings a sense of organization and rules, but there are also no rules. Imagine working with a teller and having someone walk up behind them and hand them a piece of paper. They stop helping you to deal with the information on the paper. 5 minutes later, you realize that the guy behind the teller doesn't work at the bank. Then someone walks up to you and asks you some questions about why you're here and then jokes with the teller and starts doing a deposit while you watch. Then the teller works for an hour without speaking to you. Now imagine that all of this is happening in a foreign language while you're standing for 3 hours on a toe that hates you for being your current weight.
I went home and attempted to watch the Sunday Bronco game. I made it to half time (no spoilers please) but had to give up after our 4th power outage. (don't know if that's a normal thing during the day...hope not)
Then....we got our rental car! So excited to have some more independence to get groceries, drinking water, and tour the large city.
Driving....I'm going to save my stories about driving for v.3. It's so great!
Oh, I forgot to tell you all about how much better I slept....like the details. We got the mosquito repellent stuff turned on and a fan running all night. I was so happy and comfortable. It was a total 180 from Saturday night. I'm looking forward to sleeping tonight.
We're home now and the girls are snuggled up on the couch watching Wednesday on Netflix (see, we're totally still in the US).
That's it.
Caleb
I'll figure out how to send pictures...here are a few. https://photos.app.goo. gl/od1pJGGDiQvnnVid8
1 comment:
I really appreciate the anecdotes and honesty of the posts so far. The calm chaos of the bank’s no-rules-of-engagement is a great detail. Much love to all of you from Durm
Post a Comment