Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mazie James is 5 (and then some)


Mazie turned five on May 23.  We had a celebration at her school, and then she played her last soccer game of the season and we had a little party at the field afterwards with pizza and cake.

The next day, Caleb and I flew to Oregon for Shannon's wedding.  Mazie and Athena stayed home and had a pretty fun weekend... Nanny and Papa came to help out since Ahya had to make a trip to Montreal to celebrate Uncle Logan's college graduation!  Mazie had "dates" with Ahya (breakfast, pedicure, and Build-a-Bear) and Nanny and Papa (lunch, root beer floats, and getting a fish for her new fish tank).  Despite coming down with a little cold & cough, the girls mostly did great and we were grateful for a fun grown-up getaway.  (Shannon's wedding was beautiful...)

When we got back Mazie, as a five year old, got to have her first Nana-hosted tea party.  On the way there, I asked what it was like being five, and she said it was good but also hard because she was a lot more "responsible" and had to do a lot more things.  Well said, kiddo.

Since then we've been quite busy... took a trip to Boise for Caleb to coach not one but two of his soccer teams that both won their respective state-wide President's Cup and were playing in the regional tournament.  (Both teams played well but did not advance to nationals.)  Here we on our way to the airport... the girls and I flew up and met Caleb, who drove up with his teams.  We all drove back in one of the team vans.

Got back in town just in time to welcome Alli, Bryon, Miles, and Hazel to Louisville -- they moved here from Durham and are now our neighbors!  Crazy!

Next up was a camping trip to a gorgeous spot in the Flat Tops area of Colorado with Ty and Sara.  We ate well of course (dutch oven pizzas), played some extreme croquet, and celebrated Ty's 29th birthday on June 23.



This past weekend we held the First Annual AlliKat Pub Crawl -- a tour of Louisville to introduce Bryon and Alli to their new home and community.  Great fun.


Next up: a 17 day road trip covering 16 states.  Wisconsin cottage to North Carolina beach house and back, with several fun stops along the way.

But back to my Mazie... at five, she is lovely, bright (as always), and kind.  She finished preschool in early June and is very excited to be heading to kindergarten in the fall.  She can read and write a growing list of words and, as she is eager to demonstrate, can count to 108.  (Not sure why that's the stopping point.)  I adore her curiosity and growing problem solving skills.  This morning I asked her to write a thank you note (belatedly) for one of her birthday presents and she dove right in: she told me what she wanted to say and I wrote it on a piece of paper, and then she copied it onto her card.  With no lines to keep the letters straight on the card, the words got a bit jumbled and she got frustrated and decided she needed to start over, but by then she was getting tired of writing.  I told her to just try and finish it up, and then I went upstairs to change Athena's diaper.  When I came back down, she was still sitting with the blank card and I expected more complaining, but she said, "Mommy, I was thinking about it and since I'm getting a little tired of writing, I thought we could take turns:  I'll write a letter, and then you write a letter."  So we wrote out the whole note that way.  I loved her maturity and creativity in that moment... she was committed to getting the note done, so she came up with a plan.

Here are some recent photos of our amazing Mazie.  I love you, little darling.




No comments: