Athena is 18 months old... she's been out twice as long as she was in. At her check up this week, she weighed in at 21 lbs 11.5 (38th percentile). She is 2'8" (55th percentile), and, of course, perfect.
The latest major event in Athena's life has been the abrupt end to her nursing career. Last Friday I got my vaccinations for my upcoming trip to Ghana, and that was it for breastfeeding. Athena has handled the transition fairly well. The first night she cried quite a bit when she woke up in the night asking for milk and I told her it was all gone. In the middle of her fit, though, we heard a train and she calmed down to listen to it and then went back to sleep. Over the next few nights, when she got up and asked to nurse I would say, "Athena, do you remember when we heard the train?" and (most of the time) she would stop crying and say, "Yeah!" and then settle down and go to sleep. Almost a week later, she still asks for milk a few times a day (and wakes up a couple of times at night), but she seems more and more resigned to the reality that it's all gone. Definitely bittersweet... I love that she's growing up and am excited about getting better sleep, but I'll miss those sweet nursing moments with her, too.
Here are some pictures from a lovely trip to the zoo this weekend. Mazie is a great helper --since Athena is at an age where she loves to walk by herself and often in her own direction, it comes in very handy that she also loves holding hands with Mazie. They are a sweet little pair.
No comments:
Post a Comment