Thursday, May 17, 2012

Athena at 9 months

Hard as it is for me to believe, Athena hit the 9 month mark this week, so she's been "out" in the world for as long as she was "in" my belly.  It's a very fun age... she is loving her mobility and her current routine involves crawling from one spot to another spot where she can pull up to standing and play for a while, and then getting down and crawling to another standing spot.  For example, yesterday in our playroom she spent a while at the dress-up chest pulling out necklaces and "talking shoes" (Mazie's name for the dress-up "heels" she has), and then made her way over to the changing table, pulled herself up, and proceeded to throw every washcloth, bib, and burp cloth off the middle shelf.  She's incredibly interactive and very clearly on the cusp of doing some real communicating... she waves "hi" and "bye" fairly consistently, knows exactly what I mean when I sign and say "milk" to her, and watches my hands and mouth intently when I sign/ask her if she wants "more" food.  She babbles a lot and will repeat sounds like "Up."  So amazing to watch her brain putting all the pieces together... before we know it she'll be talking up a storm along with her sister.

Speaking of her sister, watching their interactions continues to be the highlight of my days.  When Athena sees Mazie -- even if they've just been apart for a minute and Mazie walks in from another room -- Athena will do this little cackle and her whole body jumps.  She doesn't react to any one else that way.  (I get the typical mommy treatment... when I come home from work she gives me a big smile, which then immediately turns into a fuss if I don't IMMEDIATELY go hold her.  Also very sweet... but nothing to match the Mazie excitement.)  Athena has also started giving really good hugs, and Mazie is a favorite hugging target... she'll grab her with both hands, pull herself into her, then rest her head on Mazie's shoulder.  As a mama, there's nothing that makes me happier than watching them be so sweet to each other.

This video does a good job of capturing the sweet craziness we're surrounded by these days:

No comments: